Water tower funding dries up

Time to read
2 minutes
Read so far

Water tower funding dries up

By
Karen Bonar

KANOPOLIS — After months of delays and promises of answers “soon,” the Kanopolis City Council learned during its May 14 meeting that funding is not available for the town’s proposed water tower.

“When they passed appropriation bills, congressmen earmarked all funds that would usually be given to USDA rural development,” Mayor Anthony Hopkins said. “It’s determined as of now we’re not going to get grant funding.

“After discussing with Thaniel (Monaco, head of environmental engineering and head of construction field services from BG Consultants), I’m of the opinion if we wait around on rural development, we’ll find ourself in the same place next year.”

The council selected a contractor in October for the proposed water tower project. The low bid was $1,136,240.75.

Progress on the project lost momentum in November when grant funding wasn’t locked in. During the council’s December meeting, it learned Dave Barber, the representative for the United States Department of Agriculture, Rural Development, died Dec. 8. The paperwork wasn’t in order. Since January, the city has been in a state of limbo, waiting to hear if funding will be available through USDA.

While the process has been frustrating, Hopkins said there could be a silver lining to the situation.

“The Kansas legislature just approved, recently, grant funds for large projects like this,” he said.

The application process will open in June or July.

“He has worked on a couple projects that were fully funded,” Hopkins said of Monaco. “If we could get full funding from the state, it’s better than what we were looking at before.

“It pushes our timeline out quite a bit. We don’t know if we’re going to have to rebid the project, or if the current contractor will stay interested.”

He said funding from USDA doesn’t seem like a viable option.

“Make sure they have their ducks in a row so they can apply quickly,” Council Member Jim Zvolanek said.

Hopkins said BG Consultants will handle the application through the State of Kansas.

“We definitely want to get our stuff in as soon as it opens,” he said. “Most of the heavy work on budgets and financing are mostly done. I would imagine they would transfer a lot of the numbers for USDA for this project.”

In other action, the council:

• Approved transferring $20,000 from the sewer fund into the general fund.

• Heard an update on the city park bathrooms. Construction is currently in progress.

• Discussed ceiling tiles for the community building. Maintenance Supervisor Mike Bunch said the tiles are in and he’s waiting until the building isn’t booked to install them.

• Approved a cereal malt beverage license for the Fort Harker Committee for Fort Harker Days.

• Discussed accounting software. The city canceled its Quickbooks Online account and City Clerk Deb Kralik is exploring other options.

• Discussed internet service. Wilson Communications approached the city, and council directed Kralik to find out about options for phone service in addition to internet service.

• Consented to paying for advertising for Fort Harker Days.

• Discussed the Kanopolis Post office, which is currently under construction. In the interim, someone will have to pick up the mail from Ellsworth.

• Discussed sewer line cleaning. The company will come for one day.

• Council approved purchasing one load of cold mix to patch city streets.

• Approved South Central Sealing and Paving’s bid of $43,602.18 to resurface streets in town this summer.

The next Kanopolis City Council meeting will be at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 11.